The Talbot Sisters
Talbot Village Trust is a Charity founded in the nineteenth century by sisters Georgina and Mary Anne Talbot, who dedicated their lives to helping those in need.
Before moving to the East Cliff in Bournemouth in 1842, the Talbot sisters lived a privileged life in Grosvenor Square, London. Upon arriving in the area, Georgina was inspired to use the family’s wealth to rent nearby land. The land was used to provide paid agricultural work and encourage industry in order to help reduce poverty in the parish of Kinson and the surrounding area.
In 1850, following their father’s death, the sisters used their inheritance of £150,000 to buy 465 acres of land lying between Bournemouth and Poole. The sisters set about building the original model village to the north of the Wallisdown Road. They empowered the new villagers to become self-sufficient, encouraging them to care for all in their community whatever their needs. The 6 farms, 16 cottages, 7 alms houses, heathland, St Mark's School and St Mark's Church, provided homes, jobs and education, improving life chances for future generations.
Having never married, the sisters arranged for their land and wealth to be transferred to a charitable trust – the Talbot Village Trust – that was designed to carry on their charitable work for generations to come.
The volunteer Trustees have carried on the sisters’ legacy, guided by the sisters’ founding principles, developing the estate to serve the needs of the wider community, whilst becoming one of the largest grant making organisations in Dorset.
Today, Georgina and Mary Anne's land continues to provide affordable homes, education, jobs, opportunity and community, supporting south east Dorset’s communities to live well.
Planning For the Future
The Charity is committed to the holistic and sustainable development of the Talbot Village area so that the current community – as well as future generations – can benefit.
These developments include the expansion of educational facilities, preservation of historic buildings and conservation areas, as well as the improved management of woodland and heathland.
We know that the green space in our local area is integral to the community’s ability to live well. That’s why we’re committed to investing in resources that safeguard the long-term future of the heath, as well as opening up more public green space when developing land.
The wellbeing of our community lies at the heart of every development decision we make. Plans are made in unison with the needs of local people, BCP Council, Bournemouth University, the Arts University Bournemouth and other stakeholders who share our charitable vision.